Monday, May 16, 2011

Our First Meeting

The first meeting of the Mother Daughter Book Club Jr. has come and gone. I don’t’ know about anyone else, but I sure had a lot of fun. I was a little short on time while setting up and I had to grab some help from some of the other staff at the library to get the room set up before everyone got there, but we made it. A big thanks to those who helped! :)

Three mother daughter pairs were able to make it to the meeting. Lily and Rebecca brought their moms and Ava brought her older cousin. As they came in I gave them a list of twenty books and they had to try to see if they knew the authors. Some of the books were Ivy and Bean, Harry Potter and The Secret Garden.

Because we’re a new group and didn’t know each other that well, I thought it would be fun if we played a game called Two Truths And A Lie. I learned something about each of the girls there. Ava doesn’t like spicy food, Rebecca has biked 16 miles and Lily loves potatoes.

We also talked about some of our favorite books. All of them love the Magic Tree House books. Black Beauty, Junie B. Jones, Goosebumps and Fancy Nancy were also some of the favorites mentioned. It’s nice to know what kinds of books everyone likes. It will make picking books for the club much easier.
For the first book club book, the two books I presented to the group were The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo and The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is about a very special ceramic rabbit. He is three feet tall and has many changes of clothes. But he is a very selfish rabbit. He doesn’t even care about the little girl who loves him. Then one day Edward gets lost and he has to learn about love through all the different people who own him.

The Ordinary Princess is about a princess who, instead of receiving gift like grace and beauty when she was born, received the gift of being ordinary. As she grows, she loves who she is, but it presents a few problems to some of the people around her. So she takes matters into her own hands.

Both books are wonderful, but in the end The Ordinary Princess was picked as the first book for the book club. I hope you love it as much as I do.

I had a lot of fun getting to know everyone and I hope you had as much fun as I did. I think it’s going to be a great club.

The next meeting is on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 3:00 pm in Community Room A in the St. George Library. See you there!

Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment